Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Name of a Celtic Folk Song?

I remember loving a song that was assigned to a girl I knew to sing for a competition years ago. I looked up the lyrics, and sang it a few times, but did not keep it fresh in my mind. When I saw the girl again today after all this time, I remembered loving the song she sang for it's beautiful melody, but I could not remember the song itself. I think it was about a girl and a long green dress, but I am not completely positive. Any help is much appreciated :)

Name of a Celtic Folk Song?
I think you're talking about a traditional song called "Greensleeves"





Alas, my love, you do me wrong,


To cast me off discourteously.


For I have loved you well and long,


Delighting in your company.








Chorus:


Greensleeves was all my joy


Greensleeves was my delight,


Greensleeves was my heart of gold,


And who but my lady greensleeves.





Etc .


Lorrenna McKennit does an excellent version.





See here for full history/lyrics, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment